Thursday, October 2, 2008

It's like they make candy for my ears.

So, last week I got a new forever favorite band in the world. They're called the Cold War Kids and they are the coolest.

I guess they aren't really new. I bought there first album, Robbers and Cowards, last year and really dug it. It took a while to grow on me, but on the train down to New Orleans I put the album on and it just hit me. Wow, these guys are great. Great drums. Great choppy guitars. And that voice!!! Damn.

The thing that gets me about the Cold War Kids is that they just seem to be putting it all out there. I get the impression that they are physically spent after I listen. There is nothing left in them. It's like they reach a complete emotional climax on every track. I don't know how the hell they do it, but I love it.

That's the greatest thing about music. It's ability to convey emotions that words cannot. Somehow those simple guitar parts, pounding drums and open arrangements get more emotion across in three minutes than books that are three hundred pages. Doing that is a gift and these guys got the gift.

A couple of weeks ago they came out with their new album Loyalty to Loyalty. As with all sophomore efforts, I was prepared for disappointment. Well, these guys did not disappoint. I have had this thing stuck in my cd player for two straight weeks. They stick with the same formula and come out with 13 great new songs.

The big news is that these guys are coming to Nashville (Boooooo!!!) on October 21st, and I will be making a rare midweek Nashville appearance fo' sure.

So, do yourself a favor, go buy some Cold War Kids and go to the show in Nashville. You won't regret it.

4 comments:

joe kickass said...

Cold War Kids suck ass you stupid hipster douchebag.

joe kickass said...

Actually, they don't suck ass. I really reserve that type invective for people like Creed and/or Nickleback. I've only listened to a couple songs off the first record. I find them to be o.k., but definately not great.

Evil said...

Whatever, go listen to that whiny ass crap you listen to.

u2clay said...

I listened to Robbers as of 10/19/08 and my favs are Hang Me, Hair Down, Hospital Beds and Rubidoux. The rest is pretty good. The construction of music is a little more complex with change in guitar chords (choppy guitars as Evil puts it) and switches in drum beat tempo. The lead singer has some pipes...and I agree that they definitely put it all out there. I'll try to listen to Loyalty soon. Bottom line is that Evil ain't joking about these guys. They're THAT good.