Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dear God, I hate rock n' roll.

So, I've decided to bring the old What the Hell Happened to Aerosmith back. This time we're going with something a little more bloggy. I still have the idea for the book, but my interns would never do the research I assigned them and I have since started a rock band of my own, so I have little time for the work currently. That being said, I have a lot to say about the rock and pop culture in general. As that stuff doesn't really fit in on the Evilblog, I'm going to all over here. So, away we go...

Last Friday Clay and I hit the road and went down to Oxford to see the Hold Steady. Now, I love the Hold Steady. I think Boys and Girls in America is quite possibly the best album of the past decade. Seriously, I just freakin' love everything about it. It rocks. It's got great stories. Big hooks. It's cohesive. It's got it all.

So, it was with much anticipation that I bought Stay Positive. I was so excited that I bought it in the itunes pre-release rather than wait for the album. (Which I hate to do. I like buying cds. I really do. I'm old fashioned.) I got it figuring that there was no way that it could be as good as Boys and Girls, but it would be enough to make me happy. Well, I was wrong... and right.

The album rocks!!! I play it constantly. I could play "Constructive Summer" until this summer ends and it would never get old. But, there is something missing. I don't know what it is. I think it's a certain cohesiveness that is on Boys and Girls which isn't on this one. That being said, I love it. So, we bought tickets and hit the road.

On the way down I thought about the last time I saw the Steady. It was at the Hi Tone and it was just before word had gotten out about the Steady. It was a great show and all, but it was just too damn quiet. Well, apparently the Hold Steady became really damn cool while they were away because the bar was packed.

Now, I used to love that. I used to think it was great to be at a rock show with a shit ton of people. When did that stop? I don't know, but it definitely has. I'll still do it. I'd do it for the Hold Steady tomorrow, but the drunk assholes at the rock show really bother me... and the drunk assholes at the Hold Steady show aren't even bad.

Anyway, apparently I'm too old for the rock.

Shoot me.

2 comments:

u2clay said...

"Anyway, apparently I'm too old for the rock."

What would Keith Richards say to that quote?

Evil said...

You gotta goin' been where the goin been?